Defence Headquarters Links Oyo Kidnap Incident to Displaced Terrorists Fleeing Military Operations
The Defence Headquarters has identified members of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad (JAS) terrorist group as those responsible for the recent kidnap incident in Oyo State, saying the attackers were forced into the South-West following sustained military offensives in other parts of Nigeria.
The military high command made this known on Thursday while reacting to what it described as “mischievous and misleading publications” regarding comments attributed to the Defence Headquarters on the categorisation of terrorists and criminal groups operating in the South-West region.
In a statement issued by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, the military clarified that the abduction incident in Oyo State was carried out by terrorists displaced from their former strongholds due to ongoing military operations across the country.
According to the statement, the increasing pressure mounted by troops in the North-East, North-West and North-Central zones has continued to force criminal and terrorist elements to migrate into other regions in search of safe havens.
“The recent incidence of kidnap in Oyo State was clearly perpetrated by terrorists of the JAS Group that have been dislodged from other parts of the country due to high-intensity operations being conducted all over,” the statement said.
Military Rejects Misinterpretation of Earlier Comments
The Defence Headquarters said some media reports had distorted comments made by military authorities regarding the security situation in the South-West.
According to the military, its earlier position was intended to explain the evolving security dynamics across Nigeria and not to downplay the presence of terrorist-linked elements in southern parts of the country.
The DHQ stressed that terrorism remains a national threat and that criminal groups displaced from conflict-prone regions are attempting to establish new operational bases in areas previously considered relatively peaceful.
Military authorities noted that such movements are not unusual during prolonged counter-terrorism campaigns, especially when insurgent groups face heavy military pressure in their traditional enclaves.
The Defence Headquarters maintained that security agencies remain vigilant and are intensifying surveillance and operations across all regions to prevent displaced insurgents from regrouping.
Growing Security Concerns in the South-West
The recent Oyo kidnapping incident has heightened concerns about the growing spread of insecurity into the South-West, a region that has historically experienced lower levels of insurgency compared to northern Nigeria.
Over the past few years, however, cases of kidnapping, armed attacks on highways, farmer-herder clashes and isolated terrorist-linked activities have increasingly been reported in states across the South-West.
Security experts have repeatedly warned that the pressure mounted on insurgents in the North-East and North-West could lead to the migration of armed groups into forests and rural communities in southern Nigeria.
Several forest reserves stretching across Oyo, Ondo, Ogun and Ekiti states have also come under increased security scrutiny amid reports that criminal gangs and suspected terrorists have attempted to use them as hideouts.
The Defence Headquarters said the military and other security agencies have continued to carry out coordinated operations aimed at denying such groups the opportunity to establish permanent operational bases in the region.
Who Are the JAS Terrorists?
Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad, commonly referred to as JAS, is one of the factions linked to the Boko Haram insurgency that has plagued Nigeria for more than a decade.
The group emerged prominently under the leadership of Abubakar Shekau after divisions within the broader Boko Haram movement.
JAS has been associated with numerous attacks, including mass abductions, bombings, attacks on military formations and assaults on civilian communities, particularly in the North-East.
Although the military has recorded significant successes against insurgent groups in recent years, remnants of JAS and other extremist factions continue to carry out attacks in parts of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states.
Security analysts say increased military operations have fragmented many insurgent networks, forcing fighters to disperse into smaller cells and relocate to remote areas outside their traditional territories.
The Defence Headquarters’ latest statement appears to confirm fears that some of these displaced elements are now moving toward southern regions of the country.
Intensified Military Operations Across Nigeria
The military said ongoing operations across several theatres have significantly weakened terrorist and bandit groups.
In recent months, troops have intensified air and ground offensives under various operations targeting insurgents, bandits, kidnappers and oil thieves across the country.
Military authorities have repeatedly announced the elimination of several terrorist commanders, destruction of camps and rescue of kidnapped victims during these operations.
The North-West has witnessed aggressive military campaigns against armed bandit groups responsible for mass kidnappings and attacks on rural communities.
Similarly, sustained offensives in the North-East have targeted remnants of Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province fighters operating around the Lake Chad region and Sambisa Forest.
According to defence authorities, the increased pressure on criminal networks has contributed to the displacement of fighters into new territories, thereby creating fresh security challenges for other regions.
Security Agencies Intensify Intelligence Gathering
Following the Oyo incident, security agencies are expected to strengthen intelligence gathering and surveillance operations across the South-West.
Military authorities said collaboration among the armed forces, police, intelligence agencies and local security outfits remains critical in preventing further attacks.
The Defence Headquarters also urged residents to remain vigilant and report suspicious activities to security agencies promptly.
Community intelligence has increasingly become a major component of Nigeria’s counter-terrorism efforts, especially in rural and forested areas where insurgents and kidnappers often operate.
Security experts believe that early detection and rapid response mechanisms will be crucial in preventing displaced terrorists from establishing footholds in new communities.
Some analysts have also called for stronger border surveillance and improved monitoring of forest corridors connecting northern and southern states.
Concerns Over Expanding Terror Networks
The latest development has renewed public concerns over the evolving nature of insecurity in Nigeria.
While insurgency was once largely concentrated in the North-East, the country has witnessed a gradual spread of violent criminal activities across multiple regions over the years.
Kidnapping for ransom has become particularly widespread, affecting highways, schools, farming communities and urban areas.
Experts warn that the convergence of banditry, terrorism and organised criminal networks poses a complex security threat requiring coordinated national responses.
The Defence Headquarters insisted that despite the emerging threats, security forces remain committed to denying terrorists freedom of movement anywhere within the country.
Military authorities also reiterated that ongoing operations would continue until insurgent and criminal groups are completely dismantled.
Calls for Regional Security Cooperation
The Oyo kidnapping incident has further intensified calls for stronger regional security cooperation among South-West states.
Governors in the region have previously established joint security initiatives and local security networks to address rising insecurity.
The establishment of regional security outfits such as Amotekun was partly aimed at strengthening grassroots intelligence and complementing federal security agencies.
Security stakeholders say closer collaboration between local vigilante groups, traditional rulers and federal authorities may become increasingly important as displaced criminal elements attempt to infiltrate new territories.
Experts also argue that investment in technology-driven surveillance, forest patrols and interstate intelligence sharing could help contain emerging threats before they escalate.
Federal Government Reaffirms Commitment to National Security
The Federal Government has repeatedly maintained that defeating terrorism and criminality remains one of its top priorities.
Authorities say ongoing military procurements, intelligence reforms and improved inter-agency coordination are part of broader efforts to strengthen national security architecture.
Despite criticisms over persistent attacks in some areas, military officials insist that operational gains recorded in recent years have significantly reduced the territorial control once held by insurgent groups.
The Defence Headquarters urged Nigerians not to panic over the Oyo incident, assuring citizens that security agencies are actively monitoring the situation and responding appropriately.
It also warned against spreading misinformation capable of creating unnecessary fear or undermining ongoing military operations.
As security agencies intensify efforts to prevent the spread of insurgent activities into southern Nigeria, analysts say the latest revelation underscores the fluid and evolving nature of the country’s security challenges.
The Oyo kidnapping incident now serves as another reminder that while military offensives may weaken terrorist groups in one region, sustained vigilance and nationwide coordination remain essential to preventing displaced fighters from resurfacing elsewhere.





